Joseph A. Orbeck Jr. Collection
Joe is the grandson of Mary Ann Shank, who grew up on South Manitou Island as the daughter of Marianna (Ziegler) Schenck (a.k.a. "Christina Hutzler) and the (apparently) de facto step-daughter of George Conrad Hutzler.
Mary Ann Shank and her older brother Roland Shank, were the children of Marianna's first husband, Christopher J. Schenck, both immigrants from Germany living near Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He died as a Civil War soldier in 1865. Roland Shank, a familiar figure in island lore because he remained on the island during his entire lifetime, was therefore Joe's great-uncle. Mary Ann married German immigrant Julius Krause of Garfield Township (near Traverse City) and they had eight children, their fifth being Elizabeth. She married Joseph A. Orbeck Sr. of Kalamazoo-Plainwell area of Michigan, where Joe grew up and has spent the better part of his life. (He currently resides in Midland, Michigan.)
Joe's collection includes the following documents.
- Regarding Mary Ann Scheck (a.k.a. "Christina Shank":
- • Certification of Marriage : Christopher J. Schenck & Mariana Ziegler, at Lancaster, Pennsylvania on October 26, 1854
- • Widow's Declaration for Pension: Originally filed by Mary Ann J, Schenck on April 11, 1865
- • Widow's Pension Claim Approval: Mary Ann J.Schenk, June 29, 1865
- • Adjutant General's Verification of Service Record: of Christian J. Shenk, August 14, 1865
- • Widow's Claim for Increase of Pension: Mary Ann Shenk, March 20, 1867
- • Widow's Pension Physicians Deposition: Mary Ann Schenk, January 18, 1868
- • Widow's Pension Physicians Deposition: Mary Ann J. Schenk, May 13, 1869
- • Resubmission of Lost Pension Certificate: Mary A. J. Schenk, May 14, 1869
- • Request for Replacement of Lost Pension Certificate and Payment of Arrears: Mariann J. Schenk, October 14, 1878
- • Affidavit of Mrs. M. Bulander: re Lost Pension Certificate of Mary J. Schenck, November 15, 1878
- • Widow's Pension Suspension: Mary A. J. Schenck, July 1, 1882
- Miscellaneous Other Documents
- • Birth Certificate: for Frank Krause - April 28, 1882
- • Will and Distribution of the Estate of Conrad Hutzler: August 6, 1896, etc.
- • Telegram - Rolland Shank dead: , October 20, 1915
- • Distribution of the Estate of Roland Shank: February 18, 1918, etc.
- • Letter from Henry Haas to "Nephew": (possibly Frank Krause), July 15, 1923 (Also includes receipt for Warranty Deed made by Bertha Peth to Henri Haas)
- • Excerpts from: Farm & Fireside December 1925: "My Visit With the Island Farmers Who Grow the Best Rosen Rye in the Country", by Russell Lord.
- • Get-Well Card to Betty (Elizabeth Krause) Orbeck: from Maggie Haas and Rosie Warner, May 10, 1947
- • Letter from Lewis Hutzler: to his cousin Betty (Elizabeth Krause) Orbeck, March 18, 1951
- • Biographical Notes on Rolland Shank: author unknown, c 1990s